- This event has passed.
SRK Masterclass – Applied Structural Geology for Mining, Resource and Exploration Geologists – Remote
13 April 2021 @ 9:00 am to 15 April 2021 @ 1:00 pm BST
Who should attend
- Applied structural geology course designed for mining, resource and exploration geologists involved in deposit-scale data collection (mapping and core logging), data analysis or 3D geological modelling.
- The course aims to give geologists the basic relevant theoretical and practical skill set to allow them to recognise and make observations of key structural features in the field and in drillcore, and help them incorporate and interpret that data successfully in their 3D geological models.
- No previous experience in Leapfrog software is required although some working knowledge or other 3D modelling experience is preferred. A 1-hour introduction session to Leapfrog Geo will be made available for attendees to join on 07 April 2021 @ 09:00am to 10:00am GMT.
Key topics covered in this course will include:
- Basic principles of structural geology
- Structural controls on ore deposits Faults, folds, shears and fluid flow
- Practical advice on data collection
- Collecting and analysing structural data in drill core
- Incorporating and interpreting structural data 3D
Course format and aims
Attendees will benefit from improved confidence and efficiency in interpreting and measuring structures.
Attendees will gain an understanding that successful recognition of structural controls will result in more robust and cost effective geological models, and helps to reduce the inherent risk associated with exploration targeting and resource estimation.
To make the most of this course, please ensure you have a stable internet connection, and a secondary screen is highly recommended.
Dr. Shawn Kitt, Senior Consultant Structural Geology at SRK Cardiff
Shawn has more than 15 years’ experience in industry exploration, mining and consulting and public service. He started his career as a regional mapping geologist at the Geological Survey of Namibia where he collaborated on several regional mapping campaigns with international research groups.
This was followed by 10 years as a Senior Exploration Geologist for AngloGold Ashanti at gold mines in Namibia and West Africa. Since joining SRK UK, he has worked on several gold and copper deposits in Central Asia CAOB, Middle East Arabian Shield, West Africa Birimian and Europe.
He is specialised in analysis of the geology and structure and 3D geological modelling of complex structurally controlled deposits and have extensive experience in regional and deposit-scale mapping, orientated drill core logging, exploration targeting and project evaluation, and the design and management of exploration projects
Dr. Kirsty Reynolds, Consultant Resource Geology at SRK Cardiff
Kirsty specialises in the interpretation of structurally complex mineral deposits and 3D geological modelling and estimation of resources.
Kirsty has 10 years’ experience in resource geology, structural analysis, active tectonics research and exploration of gold and base metal deposits; including mine site visits in Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan and Montenegro and fieldwork in Greenland, Democratic Republic of Congo, India, and Sweden.
During her PhD, Kirsty studied active tectonics, fold-thrust belt dynamics and normal fault geometry using seismology, remote sensing and dynamic modelling. Kirsty has worked as a field mapping and exploration drilling geologist for Rio Tinto and Boliden.
At SRK, Kirsty integrates data analysis and identification of structural controls on mineralisation with geostatistics, 3D modelling and domaining, resource estimation and classification, due diligence reviews, and targeting for exploration drilling€400+ 20% VAT if booking before 15th March 2021
€400 + 20% VAT if booking before 15th March 2021
€450 + 20% VAT from 15th March 2021
Please note, this course is now full. to be added to the waitlist, please email [email protected]